Are You Ready for the JW Quiz?
Recently, Team Pyro posted this set of questions. According to the author, Phil Johnson:
Here’s a set of talking points the Jehovah’s Witnesses hand to their door-to-door teams to instruct them on how to foment doubt about the deity of Christ. Some lazy JW saw an article I wrote on the deity of Christ and as a kind of shorthand reply, he e-mailed me a copy of the handout he was given by his church.
Here are the questions (all typos are in the original):
IF JESUS IS GOD
- Why is he called the “firstborn” of all creation? Col. 1:15, Rev.3:14
- Why did he say that he did not come of his “own initiative” but was sent? John 8:42, 1 John 4:9
- Why did Jesus not know the “day and the hour” of the Great Tribulation but God did? Matt. 24:36
- Who did Jesus speak to in prayer?
- How did he “appear before the person of God for us”? Heb. 9.24
- Why did Jesus say “the Father is greater than I am”? John 14:28, Php. 2:5, 6
- Who spoke to Jesus at the time of his baptism saying “this is my son”? Matt. 3:17
- How could he be exalted to a superior position? Php. 2:9, 10
- How can he be the “mediator between God and man”? 1Tim. 2:5
- Why did Paul say the “the head of Christ is God”? lCor. 11:30
- Why did Jesus “hand over the Kingdom to his God” and “subject himself to God”? 1 Cor. 15:24, 28
- Who does he refer to as “my God and your God”? John 20:17
- How does he sit at God’s right hand? Ps. 110:1, Heb. 10:12, 13
- Why does John say “no man has seen God at any time”? John 1:18
- Why did not people die when they saw Jesus? Ex. 30:20
- How was Jesus dead and God alive at the same time? Acts 2:24
- Why did he need someone to save him? Heb. 5:7
- Who is reffered to prophetically at Prov. 8:22-31?
- Why did Jesus say “that all authority has been GIVEN to me in heaven and on earth”?Matt. 28.18, Dan. 7:13, 14 (similar)
- Why did he have godly fear? Heb. 5:7
- How could he learn obedience and be made perfect? Heb. 5:8-9
- Why would an angel be able to strengthen him or angels minister to him? Luke 22:43, Matt. 4:11
- Why would Satan try to tempt him if he KNEW that he was GOD? Matt. 4:1-11
- Jesus when sent to the earth was made to “be Lower” than the angels. Heb. 2:7. How could any part of a God Head EVER be lower than the angels?
- Then if Jesus was the sameas God, who was he being tempted to rebel against? could God be tempted to rebel against himself?Matt. 4:1
- Near the end of his earthly life, Jesus cried out “My God, why have you forsaken me?” Matt. 27:46 Can God desert or forsake himself?
- Heb. 5:8 says that Jesus learned obedience! To whom would he obey if he was GOD? And Does God need to LEARN anything?
- God’s justice is strickly perfect. Ex. 21:23-25 for example. The ransom price was one perfect human for another. An imperfect man’s life would be too low.Ps. 49:7 If Jesus was the same as God, the ransom price paid by a God would have been too high. Adam was a perfect MAN and the ransome price was a perfect MAN, not higher nor lower.
Two things really struck me about these questions:
- How badly Jehovah’s witnesses misunderstand the doctrine of the Trinity in general, and the role of Christ in redemption specifically. And,
- How bad Christians misunderstand the same things.
I think I’ll plug away at answering these questions in the next few days and weeks. It should be a helpful exercise in noting how biblical interpretation is twisted by bad doctrine.